Friday, December 11, 2009

09 Sequim football game 11 - Sequim 34, Burlington-Edison 32

Sequim 34, Burlington-Edison 32

Listen to game audio or right click to download:

Saturday, November 14th, 2009

(Poulsbo) -- Sequim survived a Burlington-Edison fourth quarter comeback, stopping the Tigers' potential game-tying 2-point conversion as regulation time expired Saturday night, holding on for a 34-32 victory at North Kitsap High School.

The first-round Class 2A state playoff win sends the Wolves to the quarterfinals for the first time in school history next weekend against the defending state champion Lynden Lions.

The quarterfinal game with Lynden will be played at 6 p.m. Saturday night at Silverdale Stadium.

Sequim (10-1) led 34-12 with 10:45 remaining after Travis Decker's third touchdown of the game, but the Tigers made a furious comeback with 20 points in the final period.

Burlington-Edison quarterback Dylan Boe finished a 10-play, 65-yard march with a 10-yard scoring pass to Jake Schifferl at the 8:15 mark, cutting to the lead to 34-19.

Another Tiger drive was capped off by Damon Acoba's 13-yard dash to the end zone, chopping the Sequim advantage to 34-26 with 5:23 left.

Getting the ball back with 1:47 to play, Burlington-Edison drove 65 yards in 12 plays, with Boe hitting 

Achilles Wynn near the left pylon on a comeback for a 13-yard score as regulation time expired.

After using multiple wide receiver sets during most of the comeback, B-E returned to the Wishbone formation for the 2-point attempt that could have sent the contest into overtime.

B-E's Acoba's fullback dive was smothered by Thomas Gallagher and a host of purple shirts, sending the Sequim throng into jubilation.

Sequim celebrated early after the Tigers' Cody Larson fumbled the opening kickoff to Frank Catelli at the B-E 29.

Set up by a 16-yard Drew Rickerson quarterback keeper, Decker scored from the 4 on the fourth play for a 7-0 Sequim lead.

Burlington-Edison's 2-time All-State kicker Andrew Furney boomed field goals of 35 and 30 yards to close the score to 7-6 after the first quarter.

The Wolves ran the ball 10 out of 13 plays on an 80-yard drive with Decker racing around left end for a 31-yard score with 9:38 left in the first half, increasing the Sequim advantage to 14-6.

The Tigers Mikey Sanchez found the end zone with 4:14 to go until halftime, chopping it to 14-12.

B-E (8-3) went to the bag of tricks on the conversion attempt with PAT holder Boe flipping the ball to kicker Furney, who was run down by Sequim defenders well short of the goal-line.

With 1:02 left in the half, Sequim's Rickerson hit John Textor on a post pattern for a 59-yard scoring connection.

The Wolves led at halftime 21-12 after blocking a Furney field goal attempt.

Rickerson and Textor connected again for 44 yards on the same play with 5:08 to go in the third quarter, putting Sequim ahead 28-12.

No comments:

Post a Comment